.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Joys of Art

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Restore the Joy of my Salvation

Restore unto me the Joy of my Salvation--and renew a right spirit in me....

My friend Juanita just had to put her dog to sleep this past week....She has been very distraught over losing her faithful companion of 14 years.....I know some of you reading this have already jumped to conclusions and have concluded that "it's just a dog"....

Juanita is no stranger to death, tragedy and pain....In one year she was in the funeral home almost 12 times....She lost her youngest son when a school bus hit and tragically killed him while he was riding his motorcycle to work.....Her youngest grandchild was killed by a drunk driver on his way home from helping her do yardwork....Not to mention the numerous relatives that she lost that year....In fact her daughter was so distraught over the loss of her youngest child that she packed the rest of her children up and moved to Tennessee--to a town and a state that she hadn't ever been to before neither did she have family there....She just heard the name of the city on television one day....She was there for almost two years and did quite well thanks to a church and her boss...

I've never had to go through such pain but trust me we all will experience tragedy in our lives....My tests so far have been in the area of employment and relationships....I can't say that I actually did well on my tests....In fact, it was my relationship with the men in my life that caused me to walk away from my relationship with God....I know I didn't handle my tests well...I'd get so mad at God because some guy broke my heart and say to him "You either give me a good job or a good man and then stay the hell (the 'F' word) out of my way...." Yes I did say those things to God....God and I had one hell of a rocky relationship....Instead of asking God to take the pain away I was quick to cuss at him....Trust me, I said plenty more horrible stuff to God....

I have never had a first love--that is in the romantic sense--but I know that Jesus is my first love....He's a faithful companion....He is the only one that sticketh closer than a brother....My heart no longer pines for relationships....God is the one that establishes relationships....He places people in our paths....

Juanita was telling me about the relationship that she had with one of the co-hosts of the Home Shopping network....This tiny little woman from Louisiana became good friends with one of the women from the HSN channel...Juanita used to own several antique stores and as a result she watched the HSN channel a lot....This woman and Juanita used to talk on the phone to another constantly and one day when the HSN channel did a segment from New Orleans they met and had lunch together.....I know folks are rolling their eyes and are saying to themselves " I always knew people from Louisiana were insane...." God places people in our paths--physically and prayerfully....Yes he does, Louisiana....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home