.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Joys of Art

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Grown Folk's Music

Children in the South know that the best way to figure grown folks out is to hang 'round grown folks....That is why they were always trying to run us off...."Children don't have NO wants" is what they used to tell us....Little did they know....Besides eating their non dairy coffee creamer when they weren't around in the kitchen, sneaking sips of their liquor embellished beverages or taking short puffs of their cigarettes when they sent us to light their cigarettes by the kitchen stove, we shole did have wants....We wanted to know what it was like to be "grown up"....And we learned a hell of a lot about our parents by listening to music that they played on their stereos as we children cleared the way for the adults to have their fun time together....We watched them as they hugged up on one another and as they bumped and grinded away to the beat of the music....We learned that the world was NOT so black and white as they would have us to believe....We learned that life consists of a lot of shades of gray and we have no one but the grown folks, that is our parents, to thank for our learning that....

Coming Home--Zydeco Hurricanes


Pine Grove Blues (Ma Negresse)--Fernest Arceneaux


I like Waylon's Version (this is just a side issue has nothing to do with Grown folk's music)

Pine Grove Blues--Waylon Thibodeaux



If It's Good for the Gander--Zydeco All Stars


Let's Do the Zydeco--Jude Taylor


Got to Give it up--Marvin Gaye
(Gotta have some Marvin Gaye)


Sexual Healing--Marvin Gaye

4 Comments:

  • Happy Easter Sharon : ) I hope you and your son have a great time...

    By Blogger Maganda, at Monday, April 17, 2006 1:56:00 AM  

  • Thanks Irene....You know you will always be my girl....We had a nice sunny Easter holiday.....I hope things are going well for you this holiday....You should come down and see us (at least once) sometime....I just spent the weekend arguing with my boyfriend about how I chickened out as afar as approaching the govenor....So from now on I get called "chicken" by him....I just didn't think that she would be sooooo pretty--she's absolutely beautiful....She's age 62?? Somebody forgot to tell (her) skin cells that!!! Congresswoman Katherine Harris wished she could have all the luck....I am starting a new job with set hours....Lol...I have to laugh at the fact that my work schedule consists of one piece of paper for the whole year....Trust me....This nation would NOT be fighting over immigration if it were for just ONE piece of paper......I only work two weeks out of a month working seven nights and seven days....A schedule such as this would cut down on the exploitation of labor...The only thing that you would need to negotiate would be the hourly salary....Can you believe my new job has a low turn over rate??? This is true.....

    By Blogger Sharon, at Monday, April 17, 2006 2:42:00 AM  

  • Hmm..so what do you get from non-dairy creamer? and congrats on the new job? Still in the same place? You still a pistol packng moma?

    By Blogger Todd, at Monday, April 17, 2006 10:46:00 AM  

  • We ate the coffee creamer just because we could...Given today we most likely wouldn't touch it being WE are now all grown up.... Not packing heat....I am trying to finish certain things that I should have done a long time ago...Like installing more memory in my computer and installing a DVD burner in my computer and not to mention my guitar and French lessons.....Then of course there is also my son's computerized telescope that I have to figure out....I'm a busy woman....Congress is giving me a break as they are on break...It's hard to keep tabs on those jokers when they aren't working...Oh wait...I forgot--Congress never works...

    By Blogger Sharon, at Monday, April 17, 2006 4:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home