.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Joys of Art

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mayor Nagin


Sharon's Delights Sweet Cajun Fire's Cajun Hideaway
Cool Bone---Nothing But Strife



Sigh....That man can very quickly divorce himself from reality can't he??? Let me let you in on a little secret Mayor Nagin: "When President Bush comes off sounding more intelligent (wise) than you are then you're in big trouble!!!!!" Sigh....Sometimes you need to think before speaking and making unwise decisions Mayor....If I done said this once in my weblog I done say it twice before: "Be slow to speak and quick to hear; slow to make impulsive choices..." These words will once again come back to haunt you....Listen up!!!! Quit making impetuous decisions concerning the city of New Orleans....Aren't you tired of making yourself look foolish and unwise?!!! Governor Blanco Mayor Nagin needs much prayer....I need you to come together in agreement with me on this one Governor.....Pray that God grants him wisdom, knowledge and understanding so that he can make Godly choices concerning the city of New Orleans....I just have this feeling governor that he isn't through being tired of crying....Self-inflicted pain is mainly his problem!!!! And now he is passing that pain off onto the city of New Orleans!!!!

1 Comments:

  • Evacuees want to be told whether to rebuild
    Area's viability is up to city, group says
    Sunday, March 26, 2006
    By Michelle Krupa
    Staff writer
    New Orleans' elected leaders need to make tough decisions now about what areas of the flood-ravaged city can be rebuilt, about 150 Hurricane Katrina evacuees from across the city and some of their religious leaders agreed Saturday.


    Making a statement that directly counters the insistence by residents of many devastated neighborhoods that they should be able to control their own recovery, members of the Jeremiah Group and the Industrial Areas Foundation Katrina Survivors Network said they want the mayor and City Council to "tell the truth" about which neighborhoods may perish because public services, such as trash pickup and basic utilities, probably won't be available there.

    Neighborhoods should not have to make that call, the residents said, adding that they were fueled by feelings of disconnection from the city after living hundreds of miles away since the Aug. 29 storm.

    "The burden of proof should not be on our neighborhoods," said Perry Perkins, an organizer with the Industrial Areas Foundation of Baton Rouge. "It should be up to the city. If services cannot be restored in some areas, the city has to start being straight about that, and they have not been straight about that."

    "The responsibility is first on the city not to put the onus totally on the neighborhoods," he said.

    The message, refined during a two-day meeting at the Radisson Hotel in Kenner, contradicts the spirit of the final report of Mayor Ray Nagin's Bring New Orleans Back Commission. As revised by Nagin himself, the report stops far short of writing off any area of the city.

    In unveiling the report Monday, Nagin said City Hall would continue issuing building permits for all sections of New Orleans, and neighborhoods would not have to prove they deserve city services with efforts such as showing that 50 percent of residents intend to return.

    But Nagin also said last week that his administration would issue a strongly worded warning to people intending to rebuild in so-called "delayed recovery areas," including the Lower 9th Ward and two low-lying sections of eastern New Orleans. The warning would say that homeowners in those areas might not be eligible for federal and state assistance, only limited municipal services might be offered, flooding could occur and property values could plummet.

    The displaced residents, some on their first trip back to New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina, said Saturday they want city leaders to detail official criteria for judging each neighborhood, consider objections by local residents and pledge that any areas ultimately deemed ill-suited for rebuilding will be maintained as green space and not sold for future development.

    They said it is unfair for the city to judge a neighborhood's viability based on the portion of its residents who have returned or who intend to return, a gauge suggested by Nagin's commission but dropped by the mayor.

    It's unclear what rebuilding plan ultimately will be approved by the state officials who control most of the money available for the task.

    The displaced New Orleanians said any standard that relies on a simple formula inevitably would leave out residents who want to return but whose neighborhoods lack basic amenities.

    Monette McCollum, a Gentilly resident living in Monroe, told the crowd that if the city contacts them to ask whether their absence from the city should be interpreted as a desire not to return, "make sure you state that you have no power, no lights, no water, no trailer," she said.

    "We want to make the city accountable," she said.

    According to Nagin's office, electrical service has been restored for 96 percent of city customers, gas service is available to 89 percent of customers, and potable water is available in all parts of the city except ZIP code 70117, which includes the Lower 9th Ward. However, Nagin's office says, there are fewer than 1,600 occupied FEMA travel trailers in the city.

    The rebuilding process was among several issues the residents said they intend to press when they meet in two weeks with the candidates for mayor in the April 22 primary.

    Working through established organizations, they said they hope to create a powerful political force among residents living in Memphis, Tenn.; Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Lubbock, Texas; Jackson, Miss.; and Louisiana cities such as Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Alexandria, Bunkie, Pineville and Monroe.

    The meeting with candidates is set for April 8 at 3 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church on Jackson Avenue. Displaced residents in some cities will be invited to participate through video conferences, organizers said.

    Other points of concern the group settled on Saturday were the city's semi-comatose public education system, which residents said should not be replaced by a loose affiliation of charter schools; enactment of a citywide minimum wage of at least $14 an hour; and changes to the way the federal government provides aid to disaster victims.

    . . . . . . .


    Michelle Krupa can be reached at mkrupa@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3312.

    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1143361040241060.xml

    By Blogger Sharon, at Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home