.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Joys of Art

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Evacuation


Well gotta run....I mean that literally.... I gotta evacuate....The storm might be headed this way....I hope everything is the same when I get back....i have been kinda upset over the happenigs lately that i went and had my blood pressure looked at...It is kinda high but I am definitely not in grave danger....It was really hard to find anything open as everyone is dispersing all over the states of Texas and Louisiana....One hospital was open much to many of the staff's dismay....They wanted to flee to higher ground with their families....My car started acting up as it has been acting kinda weird lately....I can definitely see why a lot of people couldn't get out of New Orleans....And my car is a 2004 model!!! As I drove into the emergency room parking lot it died on me...I thought it was the oil so I called my mother and told her that I was at the ER and to call my daddy at work and have him come and look at my car....I informed her that I had left son and dog at home and that I would be home as soon as possible....Not really a big deal but my son is only 10 and I had to drive 24 miles one way just to see the doctor as we have no doctor at all in my town of 3,335 people even when it is not hurricane season...I would have gone to the clinic but the Nurse Practioner that runs the clinic was forced to manditory evacuate from his city and they were in the process of shutting down the clinic also....I actually had to drive to his city to go to the doctor....See this is why support networks are very important and if you are a single parent and have struggled without one then you very well know what I am talking about....I actually wouldn't be able to do half of the things that I do if I didn't have family around....

I was scheduled to work seven days in a row this week with six of those days being 13 hour shifts and the last day being a 12 hour shift....But with all the drama and hurricane madness I called in sick last night....My blood pressure is hoovering a little too high for me....I actually do not like working at a refinery and as soon as I come back from this second cruise I am planning on leaving this job....The noise levels are atrocious.....You come home smelling like chemicals....Clorine from the cooling towers rains down on you and your car constantly.....The decibles levels are so high that you feel a constant tightening in your chest and a pounding in your head when you are at work.....I plan on letting someone else have it....Working there for two years is good enough for me.....It probably wouldn't be so bad if I moved around areas but you have to sit there for 12 or 13 hours constantly being exposed to tremendously loud sounds or be rained on with chemicals.....The only thing that has kept me from leaving this job is that my dad wants to take another cruise and I don't want to start another job with me telling them I need seven days off....

The doctor did some blood work on me said my kidneys looked fine and increased my dosage of medication slightly...I can imagine how scared people in New Orleans were without medication....Hypertension is a scary thing....It is not like diabetes...A diabetic can adjust if they are low on sugar with the effects being felt almost immediately....A person with high blood pressure can take meds but they have to wait until the blood pressure comes down and that takes a while (days) and all the time they are trying not to stress out even more and hoping that they don't have a stroke....

Well anyway, I need to trot as we are leaving at seven tonight...I am actually supposed to work through Saturday....Just hope everything looks the same when I come back....Just remember: Global warming in NOT a myth and neither is accelerated global warming.....The only thing we are leaving so far is a big mess for our kids to clean up....I have no doubts that they will rise to the occasion....It is the kids that are most affected by this (hurricnes) and the other things that we bring about.....

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home